COVID-19 and Why Cybersecurity Can’t Wait
Malicious cyber activity has dramatically increased over the last few weeks as bad actors rush to exploit the COVID-19 crisis. Criminal groups have wasted no time, publishing fake websites and apps riddled with ransomware to steal personal information from individuals seeking updates on the pandemic.
U.S. decision-makers, rightfully prioritizing the global health emergency, may get the urge to treat this spike in cyberattacks as run-of-the-mill activity surrounding a crisis. Inconvenient, but an unavoidable side-effect of operating in a 21st century ecosystem. However, now is not the time for cyber amnesia.
Experts are predicting permanent shifts in our political and economic structures—actions typically reserved for the aftermath of major international conflict. Discussions about our future institutions need to also address how governments handle clashes in cyberspace.
Attacks on our personal data and critical infrastructure, in a time of worldwide crisis, should be a line in the sand for policymakers. Yet, hackers continue to target government health agencies, hospitals, and distributors of medical equipment as the coronavirus spreads.
Editor’s Note: We’ve worked hard to open up some of our most critical COVID-19 articles to non-members, but we’ve still got analysts to pay to maintain our daily operations. We hope that you will strongly consider joining today. For most organizations it is a reimbursable business expense, but your membership contributes to dedicated analyst time to produce thoughtful content and produce our daily intelligence report. Thank you.
Want more insight? Log in for the full report
This content is restricted to OODA Network members only. Members get access to all site content plus access to exclusive reports and events. Please consider becoming a member. For more information please click here. Thanks!
Already a member? Sign in to your account.
For more OODA resources on COVID-19, check out the OODA Member Resources page.
- What The Wartime CEO Needs To Know About Covid-19 Government Contracting Rules, Risks and Opportunities
- COVID-19 Related Geopolitical Questions to Drive Your Strategic Planning
- OODA Special Report: How the Coronavirus will impact your mid to long range strategic planning
- Coronavirus: Act today or people will die
- You Need to Tighten Your OODA Loop on the Coronavirus/COVID-19
- Russia Exploits Global Pandemic for Economic Attacks
- The Best Analysis Regarding the Business Impact of Coronavirus COVID-19