OODAcast – A Conversation with Dan Gerstein of RAND Corporation
OODA CTO Bob Gourley is joined by technologist and national security expert Dan Gerstein from Rand Corporation. Dan is also the author of the recently released book entitled “The Story of Technology“.
In this wide-ranging discussion, Dan provides insights relevant to business and government leaders on:
- How we can all learn from the history of technology to better understand the situation today and forecast what will come tomorrow
- Approaches leaders can take to prepare for the future
- The role of education and writing and approach that agile/learning organizations take to career development.
- Advice for those seeking to educate themselves for the future.
- How people can shape the future of technology.
- The role of governments in the future of technology.
- The concept of a patent system where it takes 18 months to get a patent but innovation and creation occurs much faster.
- The need for law enforcement access to encrypted data and the long running DoJ/Apple debate.
- The role of technology in spreading misinformation and countering it.
Dr. Daniel Gerstein is a national security professional who has served as a senior government civilian, in uniform, in industry, in think tanks and in academia. As a senior government civilian, he served in the Department of Homeland Security as Under Secretary (Acting) and Deputy Under Secretary in the Science and Technology Directorate where he directed the organization’s over $1 billion annual budget. During his service in the U.S. Army, he served on four continents while participating in combat, peacekeeping, humanitarian assistance and homeland security and served for more than a decade in the Pentagon in various high-level staff assignments. Dr. Gerstein also has extensive experience in international negotiations having served on the Holbrooke Delegation that negotiated the peace settlement in Bosnia. He is a frequent national security contributor and has published numerous books, articles and commentaries on a wide variety of national and homeland security issues. He serves as a member of several corporate boards and advisory committees.
- A Decision-Makers’s Guide to Artificial Intelligence: A plain english overview with the insights you need to drive corporate decisions
- The Executive’s Guide to Quantum Computing: What business decision-makers need to know now about quantum superiority
- The Executive’s Guide to the Revolution in Biology: An overview of key thrusts of the transformation underway in biology and offers seven topics business leaders should consider when updating business strategy to optimize opportunity because of these changes.
- The Future of Enterprise Cloud Computing: Cloud Computing has been a key part of most interesting business strategies over the last decade. It has also been critical in bringing high end compute power to individuals around the world (Cloud services enable most highly recognizable services and apps, from Uber to Zoom and most everything in between). But what will come next?
- OODA COVID-19 Sense-making: A dynamic resource for OODA Network members looking for Coronavirus/COVID-19 information to drive their decision-making process. We’ll update it with new links as we encounter them. This is not meant to be a comprehensive list, but rather a compilation of the most useful resources.
- OODAcast on YouTube: OODA’s YouTube Channel
- OODAcast Podcast: For audio to go