OODAcast – A Conversation With Operational Cybersecurity Leader Cameron Over
Cameron Over leads the Cyber & Privacy service line at CrossCountry Consulting. Cameron has extensive past performance in cybersecurity, including experience advising organizations with transforming their cybersecurity and privacy programs.
Cameron has been in the field of information security since the late 90’s. From mid-high school, she was exposed to early network discovery techniques while interning with DoD agencies, and held a Top Secret security clearance for more than 15 years. She grew her career assisting countless agencies with their most pressing security challenges, including specialized skills and expertise in Unix and Linux operating systems, Domain Name Services (DNS), Cross-Domain systems handling highly classified data, and web server and application security.
Cameron now leads a team at CrossCountry comprised of cyber risk management, privacy and data protection, cloud security, security architecture and engineering, and advanced cyber risk, including threat intelligence, threat modeling, and advanced attack emulation. The team has developed a Cyber Fusion Lab, proprietary to the firm, as a highly secure environment with which to conduct assessments, testing, and analysis.
In this wide ranging discussion we asked Cameron questions including:
- How she started in cybersecurity and privacy (it was an internship with DISA)
- Perspectives on how cybersecurity professionals should continue to learn
- Seeking balance between education, training, certifications and experience in the cybersecurity field
- Lessons she has learned in her career regarding best practices
- Observations on adversary innovations
- How to help organizations seeking tailored solutions in security that work for them
- The most important message for boards of directors and CEOs regarding cybersecurity
- Considerations regarding ROI in cybersecurity
- Ways to accelerate the development of a cybersecurity team
- The importance of trust in the relationship between a client and cybersecurity team
- Cross Country Consulting
- Cameron Over on LinkedIn
- 10 Red Teaming Lessons Learned Over 20 Years – Red teaming is one of the most valuable things you can do within your organization. OODA CEO and Co-Founder Matt Devost offers up his top ten red teaming lessons learned from over two decades of red teaming across hundreds of engagements.
- OODA’s Special Reporting on the Federal Technology Market: This market should be part of any tech firm’s strategy
- OODA Special Report on Best Practices for Agile Cybersecurity Tips from our experts
- Context on Make vs Buy in the Federal Ecosystem: If you know of anyone anywhere in government who is thinking of building/coding a new data system to track issues around the pandemic they should just stop and should buy a commercial platform.
- OODAcast on YouTube: OODA’s YouTube Channel
- OODAcast Podcast: For audio to go