Suspect in Saudi Attacks Dies in Shootout
The top suspect wanted in the Riyadh suicide bombing was killed along with three other militants in a gunbattle Thursday when police raided their hideout in northern Saudi Arabia, officials said.
Al-Qaida member Turki Nasser al-Dandani had been the kingdom’s most wanted man after the suspected mastermind of the Riyadh attacks turned himself in over the weekend. The fall of the top two suspects was a key success in Saudi Arabia’s crackdown on militants, sparked by the May 12 suicide bombings against Westerners’ housing compounds in Riyadh, which killed 25 people as well as nine attackers. Police swooped down early Thursday on al-Dandani and his associates, who were holed up in the house of a Muslim prayer leader in the town of Suweir, 560 miles northwest of the capital, Riyadh, an Interior Ministry official said. Full Story