Gunmen 'Leave DR Congo Town'
The leader of the main militia in the war-torn town of Bunia in the Democratic Republic of Congo has said his troops have withdrawn ahead of a deadline to leave. However, as the deadline expired on Tuesday, not all of their positions had been vacated, reports Reuters news agency. Near a camp about a kilometre from the town centre, at least 20 UPC gunmen armed with AK-47 rifles and with bright green hand grenades hooked on their belts were clearly visible an hour before the deadline, Reuters reports. The militiamen say they would go if ordered by their commanders. A French-led international peacekeeping force had given all armed groups until 1100 local time (0900 GMT) on Tuesday to pull out of the town or be forcibly disarmed. The north-eastern town has been wracked by fighting between rival tribal factions, which has killed about 500 civilians in the past two months. A BBC correspondent in Bunia says many families are talking about returning to their homes, but are not sure if the few hundred peacekeeping troops can ensure their security. Full Story