OODAcon 2022: The Future of Money
Panel Description: Ten years ago, resilient cryptocurrencies did not exist, yet today the infrastructure to create them is available to anyone. The blockchain is often described as having the potential to be more disruptive than the Internet itself and the rules of finance are being rewritten every day. This session takes you through the good, bad, and the ugly of cryptocurrency and blockchain and highlights issues that will drive the next five years of blockchain. Are we in a period of Creative Destruction and what will emerge in the future?
Raymond Roberts is a graduate of University of Waterloo and Harvard Business School, with an extensive background in Mathematics, Computer Science, and Business. Raymond lives in Loudoun County with his wife and two young children. He enjoys reading, skiing, and motorbikes.
Roberts has been a founder and operator of IT Product Development and Professional Services firms since the 1980s. While his initial focus was on providing Financial and Telecom solutions, he turned his attention to government markets in the mid-’90s. An unrelenting innovator, he’s been a leader in bringing novel products to the market in Health Care IT and more recently in Blockchain.
Further OODA Loop Resources:
- Web3 Cyber Incident Database: Tracking over $62 Billion Dollars worth of cryptocurrency-related incidents: Over the past several years, there has been a rapid emergence of companies, projects, and initiatives in what is broadly categorized as Web3. While monitoring that rapid innovation, the OODA research team has noticed a disproportionately high number of cybersecurity incidents that have the potential to negatively impact the Web3 innovation ecosystem, disrupt customer adoption of these technologies, and result in consumer and enterprise monetary losses. OODA has compiled a Web3 incident database based on our research to categorize what compromises are taking place as well as document the cyberattack root causes. Tracking root causes provides insights into how innovators can create robust cyber risk management approaches and reduce the potential for consequential attacks. Reviewing the database leads to several conclusions on the need for improved risk mitigation. Reviewing the database leads to several conclusions on the need for improved risk mitigation. We capture many of our recommendations in this report on Web3 Security.
- Web3 Security: How to Reduce Your Cyber Risk: OODA has a deep heritage in red teaming enterprise and advanced technologies. In cybersecurity, a Red Team is a group of experienced professionals authorized and organized to test a system using realistic methods of a real adversary. The objective of a Red Team is to improve security by emulating the objectives and tactics of real-world attackers and then mitigating the attack surface and vulnerabilities revealed in the testing. Web3 technologies would greatly benefit from red teaming. Seemingly great innovations get fielded without sufficient security controls, resulting in impactful incidents. How bad are these incidents? As of March 2022. Web3 incidents have resulted in over $61 Billion in losses since 2011.
- Is Bitcoin a National Security Risk?: How might Bitcoin be framed as a national security risk? As national security technologists, here is our take on where the government is likely concerned.
- What CEOs Need To Know About Bitcoin: Including potential new business models to consider: Bitcoin is the most famous cryptocurrency, with good reason. It was the first to leverage the new concept of a blockchain to enable a distributed, but trusted ledger, which for the first time in history allowed a cryptocurrency where double spending was impossible. Since its founding on 3 January 2009, the system has worked and proven it can scale with extreme accuracy. But what might this new store of value and distributed means of safe and secure transactions mean for your business? The models listed here can fuel your decision-making in that domain.
- The OODA Loop Series on Global Cryptocurrency and Digital Currency Initiatives: Our survey of crypto and digital currency initiatives from around the globe, all of which are officially sanctioned to enhance national competitive advantage (in the event crypto overtakes the US dollar as the global reserve currency). It is the cumulative adoption rate of state-sanctioned crypto and digital currency legalization and regulation that will propel this innovative system for value exchange as a global currency standard.
- Project Hamilton: The Federal Reserve Bank of Boston and The MIT Digital Currency Initiative: Based on the recent release of our Web3 Cyber Incident Database, we continue with our brief survey of crypto and digital currency initiatives from around the globe, all of which are officially sanctioned to enhance national competitive advantage. Today we provide an analysis of the major central bank digital currency (CBDC) initiative in the U.S., Project Hamilton, which is a technical collaboration between the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston and The MIT Digital Currency Initiative. The Biden Administration is set to release an Execute Order (EO) articulating national security concerns associated with Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Project Hamilton is a major applied basic research project which will inform some of the actionable and directional components of the EO when released.
- For more OODA Loop News Briefs and original research and analysis about Blockchain Technologies, click here.
- For more OODA Loop News Briefs and original research and analysis about Cryptocurrency, click here.
OODAcon is about understanding the future and developing the resiliency to thrive and survive in an age of exponential disruption.
Society, technology, and institutions are confronting unprecedented change. The rapid acceleration of innovation, disruptive technologies and infrastructures, and new modes of network-enabled conflict require leaders to not only think outside the box but to think without the box.
The OODAcon conference series brings together the hackers, thinkers, strategists, disruptors, leaders, technologists, and creators with one foot in the future to discuss the most pressing issues of the day and provide insight into the ways technology is evolving. OODAcon is not just about understanding the future but developing the resiliency to thrive and survive in an age of disruption.
OODAcon is the next-generation event for understanding the next generation of risks and opportunities.
OODA Network Members receive a 50% discount on ticket prices. For more on network benefits and to sign up see: Join OODA Loop
Please register to attend today and be a part of the conversation.