RealNews

Defendant Is Released in Detroit Terror Case

A federal judge on Tuesday released an immigrant whose terrorism conviction had been thrown out and sent him to a halfway house, the latest chapter in the dissolution of the government’s prosecution of what it once called a “sleeper operational combat cell” based here. “I am innocent,” said the immigrant, Karim Koubriti, a 26-year-old Moroccan, in an interview shortly after the judge, Gerald A. Rosen, said he would not have to return to prison. “I always say I was innocent. Three years ago I said I was innocent and nobody believed me except these guys,” he said, referring to his lawyers. Mr. Koubriti was one of four Arab immigrants accused by the government of forming a terrorism cell based in Detroit. He and another defendant were convicted last year of material support of terrorism and document fraud charges. A third man was convicted of document fraud and a fourth was acquitted. Last month, however, Judge Rosen threw out the convictions after an extraordinary request by the government to do so. Full Story

OODA Analyst

OODA Analyst

OODA is comprised of a unique team of international experts capable of providing advanced intelligence and analysis, strategy and planning support, risk and threat management, training, decision support, crisis response, and security services to global corporations and governments.