RealNews

Untested Islamic Militants Emerging, U.S. Official Says

A new cadre of untested Islamic militants is emerging to take the place of leaders in Osama bin Laden’s al Qaeda network, which is now under “catastrophic stress” as a result of international operations over the past 30 months, the senior State Department counterterrorism official told a House International Relations subcommittee yesterday. At least 70 percent of al Qaeda’s senior leadership has been detained or killed since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks triggered a worldwide offensive against the network, and the remaining 30 percent is largely on the run, State Department counterterrorism coordinator J. Cofer Black testified. The movement has been “deeply wounded” by the elimination or arrest of more than 3,400 lower-level members and allies, forcing it “to evolve in ways not entirely by its own choosing,” he said. As a result, several newer and smaller groups, made up predominantly of Sunni Muslims, are moving in to take the lead in the jihadist holy war agenda against the United States and its allies, which has complicated the task of stamping out the threat from Islamic militants, said Black, a former CIA counterterrorism official. Full Story

OODA Analyst

OODA Analyst

OODA is comprised of a unique team of international experts capable of providing advanced intelligence and analysis, strategy and planning support, risk and threat management, training, decision support, crisis response, and security services to global corporations and governments.