Nepal fighting leaves '130 dead'
The Nepalese government has confirmed that over a 130 people were killed in fierce clashes on Sunday between the security forces and Maoist rebels. Home Minister Kamal Thapa visited the north-western area and afterwards said that the bodies of 100 rebels and 28 soldiers had been recovered. He said four civilians had been killed in the crossfire. There are conflicting claims between the army and Maoists as to the exact number of people who died in the clash. An army spokesman earlier said that an estimated 500 rebels had died in clashes which went on all day at Beni in Myagdi district, 300km (190 miles) from the capital, Kathmandu. But the rebels said they inflicted heavy casualties on the security forces – admitting the loss of 36 guerrillas. The minister’s visit to the battle scene took place as the rebels vowed to continue attacks on government targets. Full Story