Web hacking contest claims 'no big names'
Computer hackers vying in a global contest on Sunday defaced a slew of Web sites, but the damage was confined to the Internet’s backwater of small, unsecured sites, security officials said. The “Defacer’s Challenge” got off to a quick start on Sunday with 300 attacks reported minutes after the 0600 GMT official start, said Roberto Preatoni, founder of Estonia-based Zone-H.org, a site that tracks hack attacks. “There were no big names,” he said. But he added his own site, www.zone-h.org, was knocked offline for much of the day because of a high volume of legitimate visitors and apparent attempts by hackers to bog down his computer servers. According to the contest Web site www.defacers-challenge.com, which was taken offline last week, hackers were urged to prove their skills by defacing as many Web sites as possible during a six-hour span on Sunday. Points were awarded for the number and type of computer servers they infiltrated, the rules stated. Concern grew among cyber security organisations last week that the competition would cripple countless Web sites, but by Sunday afternoon as the event was drawing to a close there was no sign of damage among the Web’s most popular sites. Full Story