RealNews

Judge: Mich. Terror Trial to Continue

The trial of four men accused of conspiring to support terrorism will continue despite the war with Iraq, a federal judge ruled Monday. Last week, defense lawyers filed a motion asking U.S. District Judge Gerald Rosen to adjourn the trial, saying that a fair trial would be impossible amid the war. But Rosen said prospective jurors have been asked about whether they can set aside feelings about the war, and he believes a fair panel can be selected. Jury selection began last week. “We simply do not know or cannot know when we could pick a time in the foreseeable future when the trial of the issues in this case would be more likely to occur in (an) uncharged, completely calm setting,” Rosen said. Karim Koubriti, 24; Ahmed Hannan, 34; Farouk Ali-Haimoud, 22; and Abdel-Ilah Elmardoudi, 37; are charged with conspiracy to provide material support or resources to terrorists. It is the first trial in the United States for an alleged terror cell detected after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. The case began with a raid on a Detroit apartment less than a week after the attacks. Full Story

OODA Analyst

OODA Analyst

OODA is comprised of a unique team of international experts capable of providing advanced intelligence and analysis, strategy and planning support, risk and threat management, training, decision support, crisis response, and security services to global corporations and governments.