RealNews

DR Congo Massacre Probe

The United Nations are to send a team to northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo within the next two days to investigate reports of a massacre. A spokeswoman for the UN mission monitoring the ceasefire in the Congo told the BBC they were trying to get permission from the Lendu group, who control the area where the killings are alleged to have taken place. On Monday, Jean-Pierre Bemba, head of the Congolese Liberation Movement (MLC), said that hundreds of people had been killed by pro-government soldiers and other militias and called for an investigation. Last year, the main antagonists in the four-year Congolese war signed a peace deal. The government of Joseph Kabila, Rwanda, Uganda and the main rebel groups agreed to set up a new power-sharing government. But fighting has continued in Ituri province near Bunia, featuring a myriad of different groups and shifting alliances. About 150,000 people have fled the fighting, according to Reuters news agency. There has been no independent confirmation of the killings. Full Story

OODA Analyst

OODA Analyst

OODA is comprised of a unique team of international experts capable of providing advanced intelligence and analysis, strategy and planning support, risk and threat management, training, decision support, crisis response, and security services to global corporations and governments.