RealNews

Rebels Say Hundreds Killed in Congo Attack

Congolese rebels said on Sunday hundreds of civilians were killed in an attack last week by a combined force of pro-government soldiers, tribal militia and Ugandan army troops in the northeast of the vast country. Thomas Lubanga, president of the small rebel group Union des Patriots Congolais (UPC), said the killings took place on February 24 and 25, at Bogoro, south of the town of Bunia near the Ugandan border. Uganda has denied it had troops in Bogoro. “Until yesterday we had counted up to 467 people had been killed. We’re still receiving more reports today. They were all civilians,” Lubanga told Reuters by telephone from Bunia. A rival rebel group said the number of casualties was still rising: “We heard from our people there was fighting in Bogoro and over 250 people have been killed and the number is still rising,” Faustin Ndekesiri, spokesman for the new RCD-Kisangani, told Reuters by telephone from Uganda. A United Nations mission in Congo (MONUC) official confirmed an attack had taken place and said the death toll estimated by the UPC “could be true.” Full Story

OODA Analyst

OODA Analyst

OODA is comprised of a unique team of international experts capable of providing advanced intelligence and analysis, strategy and planning support, risk and threat management, training, decision support, crisis response, and security services to global corporations and governments.