August 2021 OODA Loop Monthly Meeting Generates Actionable Insights Into A Chaotic World
OODA Network members are invited to participate in a monthly video call to discuss items of common interest to our membership. These highly collaborative sessions are always a great way for our members to meet and interact with each other while talking about topics like global risks, emerging technologies, cybersecurity, and current or future events impacting their organizations. We also use these sessions to help better focus our research and reporting on member needs.
The August monthly meeting focused on issues around Afghanistan and the many geopolitical and business related elements of these chaotic events. Members also discussed topics in the OODA C-Suite Report.
Topics discussed this month included:
Topics discussed and questions raised for follow-up research and analysis included:
- Higher-order issues/broad challenges for the future
- Bridging the Perennial Divide: real partnership and real outcomes from public/private partnership for Cybersecurity Challenge ahead
- What will be the Chinese response to the fall of Kabul?
- Taliban 2.0: Has the organization really changed?
- Corporate human resource allocation, recruitment, and employee safety in the Middle East
- Do most organizations over-optimize and lose resiliency?
- Intelligence Reform: Do we try to simplify the nature of conflict? Do we have a propensity to avoid complexity?
- Intelligence Fusion – We need to somehow find a way to synchronize multiple themes
- A low-tech adversary: is U.S. DoD building the right technology systems?
- WWII, Manhattan Project, and Marshal Plan-style mobilizations to multiple existential threats
- Cybersecurity: Pessimism is easy. What are we going to do about it?
- What did we know: Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) Quarterly Reports and the Fall of Kabul?
- Is Taiwan the Next Chechnya/Crimea? Or Hong Kong?
- Organizational Behavior: Black Swan/Silver Lining counterfactuals to break the echo chamber/groupthink
- Will we begin to see a non-US Central resource allocation in Afghanistan post-fall of Kabul? What does that look like? Is it led by a friend or foe?
- Is it going to take a Pearl Harbor? What is the next Pearl Harbor?
- Cyberblitz/Bitskreig: What does it take to make a blitz in this area?
- China/Taiwan semiconductor supply chain – scenario planning/wargaming exercise to complement monthly member call
This post was generated from the OODA Network Member monthly meeting and access is restricted accordingly. If you are an OODA Subscriber, but not a member of our expert network, you will not be able to access this content.
Want more insight? Log in for the full report
Already a member? Sign in to your account.
OODA Loop provides actionable intelligence, analysis, and insight on global security, technology, and business issues. Our members are global leaders, technologists, and intelligence and security professionals looking to inform their decision making process to understand and navigate global risks and opportunities.
You can chose to be an OODA Loop Subscriber or an OODA Network Member. Subscribers get access to all site content, while Members get all site content plus additional Member benefits such as participation in our Monthly meetings, exclusive OODA Unlocked Discounts, discounted training and conference attendance, job opportunities, our Weekly Research Report, and other great benefits.
For more information please click here. Thanks!
Already a member? Sign in to your account.
Black Swans and Gray Rhinos
Now more than ever, organizations need to apply rigorous thought to business risks and opportunities. In doing so it is useful to understand the concepts embodied in the terms Black Swan and Gray Rhino. See: Potential Future Opportunities, Risks and Mitigation Strategies in the Age of Continuous Crisis
Cybersecurity Sensemaking: Strategic intelligence to inform your decisionmaking
The OODA leadership and analysts have decades of experience in understanding and mitigating cybersecurity threats and apply this real world practitioner knowledge in our research and reporting. This page on the site is a repository of the best of our actionable research as well as a news stream of our daily reporting on cybersecurity threats and mitigation measures. See: Cybersecurity Sensemaking
Corporate Sensemaking: Establishing an Intelligent Enterprise
OODA’s leadership and analysts have decades of direct experience helping organizations improve their ability to make sense of their current environment and assess the best courses of action for success going forward. This includes helping establish competitive intelligence and corporate intelligence capabilities. Our special series on the Intelligent Enterprise highlights research and reports that can accelerate any organization along their journey to optimized intelligence. See: Corporate Sensemaking
Artificial Intelligence Sensemaking: Take advantage of this mega trend for competitive advantage
This page serves as a dynamic resource for OODA Network members looking for Artificial Intelligence information to drive their decision-making process. This includes a special guide for executives seeking to make the most of AI in their enterprise. See: Artificial Intelligence Sensemaking
COVID-19 Sensemaking: What is next for business and governments
From the very beginning of the pandemic we have focused on research on what may come next and what to do about it today. This section of the site captures the best of our reporting plus daily daily intelligence as well as pointers to reputable information from other sites. See: OODA COVID-19 Sensemaking Page.
Space Sensemaking: What does your business need to know now
A dynamic resource for OODA Network members looking for insights into the current and future developments in Space, including a special executive’s guide to space. See: Space Sensemaking
Quantum Computing Sensemaking
OODA is one of the few independent research sources with experience in due diligence on quantum computing and quantum security companies and capabilities. Our practitioner’s lens on insights ensures our research is grounded in reality. See: Quantum Computing Sensemaking.
The OODAcast Video and Podcast Series
In 2020, we launched the OODAcast video and podcast series designed to provide you with insightful analysis and intelligence to inform your decision making process. We do this through a series of expert interviews and topical videos highlighting global technologies such as cybersecurity, AI, quantum computing along with discussions on global risk and opportunity issues. See: The OODAcast