FBI issues alert on 30 December 2015 arrest Emanuel L. Lutchman
According to the criminal complaint, FBI Buffalo’s Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF) arrested Emanuel L. Lutchman on 30 December 2015 on charges of attempting to provide material support to ISIL. According to the criminal complaint, Lutchman acted at the direction of an overseas ISIL member and attempted to commit an armed attack against civilians at a restaurant/bar located in the Rochester, NY area on New Year’s Eve. Lutchman was attempting to do this on behalf of ISIL, and in furtherance of his plan to join ISIL overseas.
- According to the criminal complaint, on or about 25 and 26 December 2015, Lutchman communicated with an overseas individual identified as a “brother” with ISIL. Lutchman stated he was “starting to organize [his] brothers that [he] know[s] to do operation for the sake of Allaah.” The overseas individual told Lutchman that all he has to do is plan an “operation” on New Year’s or whenever he can and kill “1000000s of kuffar.” The overseas individual told Lutchman to complete an operation and stated that, if the Syrian borders open and the operation does not succeed, he would help Lutchman make “hijra” [migration] to join ISIL.
- On or about 27 December 2015, Lutchman sent a message to an FBI source with an audio recording of Lutchman swearing allegiance to ISIL and its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- On or about 28 December 2015, Lutchman discussed with an FBI source conducting assassinations and using a pressure cooker bomb. Lutchman said he wanted to execute the plan so they could be “in and out,” noting that they should make it “quiet and simple” so they can go about doing what they need to do to make hijra. Lutchman stated he hates this land (meaning the United States) and he wants to live under the caliphate. Lutchman also stated he has to show his allegiance to ISIL and that he is ready to lose his family.
- On or about 28 December 2015, Lutchman stated he wanted to target a club or bar and suggested planting a bomb inside. Lutchman also proposed that they kidnap and behead people. Lutchman stated, “I will take a life, I don’t have a problem with that.”
- On or about 29 December 2015, Lutchman and an FBI source purchased supplies for the operation including black ski masks, zip-ties, two knives, a machete, duct tape, ammonia and latex gloves. Lutchman told an FBI source, “It’s going to get real after this. It’s just you, me and the Lord. We gotta do this, we gotta do this precise.”