CyberNews Briefs

Report: Cyber Criminals Target More Firms in Search of Bigger Paydays

Cyber crime groups were responsible for 61% of targeted cyber campaigns in the first six months of this year, with state-backed groups carrying out the remaining 39%, a recent CrowStrike study found. Last year, cyber crime accounted for no more than a quarter of these kinds of intrusion campaigns. According to the report, the figures do not indicate a drop in state-backed campaigns, but rather point to a surge in cyber criminal activity, with “adversaries [escalating] their activities in pursuit of more and larger payouts.”

Jennifer Ayers of CrowdStrike warned that the firm has “seen both eCrime and nation-state actors maintain a strong foothold in networks through the use of stealthy tactics.” The most popular targets of these campaigns were tech firms (30%), followed by telecommunications and professional services companies, financial firms, nongovernmental organizations, and academic institutions.

Read more: Report: Cyber Criminals Target More Firms in Search of Bigger Paydays

OODA Analyst

OODA Analyst

OODA is comprised of a unique team of international experts capable of providing advanced intelligence and analysis, strategy and planning support, risk and threat management, training, decision support, crisis response, and security services to global corporations and governments.