North Korea says it will resume talks but adds pressure with new launches
North Korea Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui On Tuesday said that his country is open to having “comprehensive discussions” with the United States later this month, adding that Washington should adopt a new approach if it wants the talks to be constructive. However, hours after Choe’s statement, Pyongyang conducted a series of missile tests. South Korea condemned the tests and called on North Korea to halt its missile activity.
In recent weeks, North Korea has carried out several missile tests, the significance of which has been downplayed by US president Donald Trump. North Korean leader Kim Jung-un met with Trump in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) between North and South Korea earlier this year. During that meeting, both leaders agreed to a new round of talks on North Korea’s nuclear program.