CyberNews Briefs

The changing face of DDoS attacks: Degraded performance instead of total takedown

Research by Neustar looks at the growing threat of small-scale DDoS attacks that are increasing in frequency and sophistication. 75% of the attacks that Neustar mitigated in Q2 of this year involved malicious traffic that reached no more than 5Gbps, and the number of attacks involving over 100 Gbps dropped by 64%.

The disturbing thing about the rise of small DDoS attacks is that while they can significantly impact the performance of digital services, they are difficult to detect. In fact, a mere 28% of cybersecurity leaders stated it was very likely that their organization would spot attacks of this kind. The remaining 72% acknowledged that this was only somewhat likely or even somewhat or very unlikely.

Read more: The changing face of DDoS attacks: Degraded performance instead of total takedown

OODA Analyst

OODA Analyst

OODA is comprised of a unique team of international experts capable of providing advanced intelligence and analysis, strategy and planning support, risk and threat management, training, decision support, crisis response, and security services to global corporations and governments.