Bad security hygiene still a major risk for enterprise IT networks
A new report[pdf] by Ixia analyses the 2018 cyber threat landscape. According to the report the 5 main security issues last year were:
- Most product vulnerabilities were the result of software design flaws including well-documented and easily avoidable issues like SQL injection and cross-site scripting vulnerabilities
- The human factor is the weakest link in cyber security and threat actors are actively looking to take advantage of this through phishing and other social engineering attacks.
- Cyber hygiene levels hit an all-time low, with organizations failing to keep their systems safe through proper patch management.
- Disclosures of newly uncovered vulnerabilities benefited vendors but also threat actors.
- Cryptojacking hit record highs as attackers distributed nearly autonomous malware to hijack the processing resources of systems in order to mine cryptocurrency.