OODAcon Online 18 Nov 2020: Hack your way into the future
Join us 18 November 2020 from 1:00pm till 4:30pm for OODAcon Online.
About the OODAcon
The OODAcon is about understanding the future and developing the resiliency to thrive and survive in an age of exponential disruption.
Society, technology, and institutions are confronting unprecedented change. Rapid acceleration of innovation, disruptive technologies and infrastructures, and new modes of network-enabled conflict requires leaders to not only think outside the box, but to think without the box.
The OODAcon conference brings together the hackers, thinkers, strategists, disruptors, leaders, technologists, and creators with one foot in the future to discuss the most pressing issues of the day and provide insight into the ways technology is evolving. OODAcons are not just about understanding the future, but developing the resiliency to thrive and survive in an age of disruption.
OODA Network Members (expert level) attend the OODAcon for free. If you are an expert level member you should already have received a calendar invite for the event. If you have not or need more information please contact us here.
For more on network benefits and to sign up see: Join OODA Loop
More about the 18 Nov 2020 OODACon
In our interview with Kevin Roberts, the iconic CEO and author of the book 64 Shots, he expanded on his views of how to envision and build the future. It has always been impossible to really see the future but planners have a need to try. In this age of accelerating technology, global pandemic and geopolitical shifts is it more complex than ever, making most projections of the future just gobbledygook. Who thinks these days that we know what the term “new normal” means? Who has any credibility writing about the “future of work” or “the future of cybersecurity”? Kevin’s approach: do not rely on the arrogant predictions of futurists. Instead, hack your way into the future, like hacking your way through a jungle. Be prepared to improvise and overcome. Relish and drive change where you can. Be flexible and agile and continue to create, but do so while learning to fail fast and fix fast.
Agenda for the 18 Nov 2020 OODAcon:
1:00 pm: The Operating Environment
Bob Gourley and Matt Devost provide an overview of the dynamic situation we all operate in, setting the stage for our follow-on panels and discussions
1:30 pm-2:15 pm: Finding Order of Magnitude Improvement in Cybersecurity
Evaluating Cybersecurity: Matt Devost moderates a panel on: What leaders need to know and do to transform their security posture
- Masha Sedova, Co-Founder, Elevate Security
- Jonathan Rogers, CEO, Centripetal Networks
- Bryson Bort, CEO, Scythe
2:15 pm-3:00 pm: Executing on the new National Strategy for Critical and Emerging Technologies
Bob Gourley moderates a panel on: Implementing The National Strategy For Critical and Emerging Technologies: What lessons can we learn from attacks against American Innovation
- Matthew Turpin, Senior Advisor, Palantir, and former Director in the National Security Council
- Melissa Flagg, Senior Fellow at the Center for Security and Emerging Technology
- James N. Miller, Senior Fellow JHU Applied Physics Lab and former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
- Junaid Islam, 5G Security Advisor at the National Spectrum Consortium
3:00 pm-4:00 pm: Member Hottakes
Member Hot Takes and Expert Context. We hand selected these OODAloop members to provide expert commentary in ways that will help us all think through future actions
- Vikram Sharma on Quantum effects and security. His PhD in Physics, Stanford business degree and years as a CEO give Vikram incredible context on what executives should know about things quantum.
- Mark Weatherford on corporate boards and cybersecurity and how to lead leaders in this still new domain. Mark is one of the most widely known and successful CISOs.
- Jeremy King on attitudes, approaches and practices of leaders, including insights you can use in your career. Jeremy has worked with 100’s of companies across multiple sectors to find a place leaders and will pass on tips we can all use.
- Balan Ayyar on optimizing humans and machines for critical missions in the age of AI, based on his experience leading a firm fielding operational AI solutions and his time in the USAF.
4:00 pm: Wrap Up and Next Steps
Bob Gourley and Matt Devost will provide a wrap-up and discuss next steps for the OODA network, including next meetings and other ways to get engaged in shaping our collective future.